Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Flatiron


The Flatiron
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy


This weekend we ventured to Downtown Toronto. Not my favourite place but we had planned a trip to take in the Contact Festival and "Doors Open Toronto" this was our only chance.

There were two things I really wanted to photograph, this being the first of them.

Arriving in Downtown bright and early we were greeted by fog. I'm sure not everyone would be as pleased as I but fog removes the distracting visual noise from a scene and softens the impact of modern life.

I like this image, the massive skyscrapers are gone, vanished in the mists of time as it were and we are back 100 years to the days the flatiron was built.

So the image had to be sepia toned, black and white to give the 'feel' of what it was like back then, the vignette removed more of the modern day distractions.

Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be. ~Duane Michals

No comments: