Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Sunday, November 13, 2011

Guelph - The other side of the tracks


Guelph - The other side of the tracks
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy


I've been thinking, dangerous I know, but a conversation I had with my friend Doug yesterday as we wandered around Guelph started this line of thought. We were discussing what, to us, makes a good image, why do we like one image versus another?
Is it because we created it?
How do we pass that emotion along to the viewer so that they may see as we do?

All of these questions led to more questions and an inner search for meaning and answers, which led me down this path ...

What drives us?
What sets us (photographers) apart from the rest?

To me the answers lie in: 
We 'feel' the world around us and in doing allows us to see all those mundane things in a different light.
It is this 'feeling' that allows us to see the world around us differently than most people.

For instance, have you ever stood and pondered a scene and had people stop, look, shrug and move on?
Ever had someone ask "what are you looking at?"
I know I have.

That "feeling" is the difference and it drives our desire to share what we 'see' with others.




And that desire--the strong desire to take pictures--is important. It borders on a need, based on a habit: the habit of seeing. Whether working or not, photographers are looking, seeing, and thinking about what they see, a habit that is both a pleasure and a problem, for we seldom capture in a single photograph the full expression of what we see and feel. It is the hope that we might express ourselves fully--and the evidence that other photographers have done so--that keep us taking pictures. 
- Seeing and Shooting Straight by Sam Abell

No comments: