Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Monday, September 3, 2012

Singing Sands-moonscape


Singing Sands-moonscape
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy


I think I have used today's quotation before but it pretty well sums up how I feel when I am "out there".

A recent trip up the Bruce peninsula found me at Singing Sands.
A place of such incredible diversity and breathtaking beauty.
A place that will call me back time and time again I am sure.
From flora and fauna, to the windswept wide open shoreline the almost alien landscape of the Alvars* and the majestic Lake Huron sunsets.

* "These areas of grooved and scraped stone are a globally rare habitat known as an alvar. Only select areas within the Great Lakes basin (including Ohio's Kelley Island), Sweden and Estonia have alvars. Created thousands of years ago when the mighty weight of the glaciers passed over the area, you can still see grooves and markingsfrom where they scraped over the bedrock"

Quote from

http://floraofohio.blogspot.ca/2011/07/rams-heads-on-singing-sands-bruce.html

We really are blessed with some of the most interesting, complex, rare and breathtakingly beautiful landscapes here in Canada.
I am glad that these places are relatively devoid of people,
Selfish?
maybe.... :-)


I remember a hundred lovely lakes, and recall the fragrant breath of pine and fir and cedar and poplar trees. The trail has strung upon it, as upon a thread of silk, opalescent dawns and saffron sunsets. It has given me blessed release from care and worry and the troubled thinking of our modern day. It has been a return to the primitive and the peaceful. Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy. ~Hamlin Garland, McClure's, February 1899

No comments: