Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Sunday, December 23, 2012

Winter Jewels II


Winter Jewels II
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy



Recently I was told I see things differently.

When I walk, sit or drive (yes, drive) my head is on a swivel, I am constantly observing the world around me looking for shapes, lines and textures in my surroundings.
I see wondrous things everywhere and take great pleasure in the seeing.

That’s why I am a photographer

A photographer sees things differently. No it’s not just me, every great photographer I know either has this ‘gift’ or has learned it by observing others and what we have in common is we all take delight in the seeing and we try to capture what we see so that others may see it also.

Many, many others never do, the world at large goes about their business with hooded eyes. They never really see, or worse they never try to and I find that sad.

This world of ours is a wondrous place, every child knows that, until they grow and unfortunately the magic disappears.
For some it never does, for some it comes back but for the vast majority, as they become adults. The child in them that used to see wonder all around is stifled.

Take the impending Christmas season for instance watch the children as they get more and more excited as the big day arrives. I know it’s supposed to be a religious holiday but try telling a kid that!

We should all see through the eyes of a child we should all be so lucky

To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and heart of the child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: