Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Sunday, May 5, 2013

Bloodroot


Bloodroot
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy


Most people who know me know that Spring is not my most favourite time of year.
Yet it does hold its attractions; Yesterday was one of those days when the air was warm, the breeze cool enough to be comfortable and the woods filled with the sounds of bird song and the scent of wildflowers.

Hard to resist ... luckily I had arranged to visit my friend Grant at his new home not far from here.
His new home lay a mere 50 yards away from endless trails and endless possibilities (and endless blackflies but they were a mere inconvenience and quickly ignored). because the woods were covered with carpets of trillium, pillows of bloodroot and trout lilies, the air filled with sweet scents that made you breath deep.

It was almost enough to make me forget that Spring is not my favourite time.

Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the seasons as they change. Each one brings it’s own special statement and spring is quite a magical time for as the earth thaws green sprouts work their way upwards towards the warming sun and burst into a riot of colours and fragrance. Time is short for them and they must fulfil their destiny quickly before the tree’s leaf out and cover the forest floor in shade.
A scant few weeks and it’s all over but while it’s here opportunities for photographs abound so you will find me with dirt covered knees as I crawl around with my face in the dirt and happy..

“And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
rose from the dreams of its wintry rest”.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley, "The Sensitive Plant"

No comments: