Originally from Northern England, Alan Norsworthy has been a photographer since the late 1960's.

He moved to Canada in 1973 and has made Guelph Ontario his home for the last 24 years.

" I remember visiting the CN Tower in the early 70's and the guide said that as far as you could see in any direction is the best farmland in Canada. That comment echoes down the years as I watch subdivisions eat up the landscape."

The area around Guelph offers up a plethora of rural images which Alan captures with his artistic vision. His work covers everything from macro photographs of flowers, sweeping landscapes, historic buildings and old abandoned farms in both colour and Black and White.

"This is where I find my inspiration, I have a need to show people the beauty I see as I walk the woods and fields of Southern Ontario"


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ignatius Centre - Whitewash


Ignatius Centre - Whitewash
Originally uploaded by Alan Norsworthy


Wandering the trails at the Ignatius Centre this weekend was something that is not new to me by any stretch of the imagination.
However this day I felt a thankfulness that there are still those who work the land in concert with the way it should be worked. That there are still those who love it as much as I do but are lucky enough to make it their life.

In the old orchard I stopped and plucked an apple and was reminded of the old song "Hey farmer farmer, put away the DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees" by Joni Mitchell.

Yes it was covered in spots but it still tasted good :-)

But it did make me think .....

Will urban sprawl spread so far that most people lose all touch with nature?
Will the day come when the only bird a typical American child ever sees is a canary in a pet shop window?
When the only wild animal he knows is a rat - glimpsed on a night drive through some city slum?
When the only tree he touches is the cleverly fabricated plastic evergreen that shades his gifts on Christmas morning?
~Frank N. Ikard, North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference, Houston, March 1968

No comments: